EA3 artifact A2.1 System Data Flow Diagram
The System Data Flow Diagram is better known as a ‘Data Flow Diagram’ and is intended to show the processes within a system that exchange data, and how those exchanges occur. This artifact compliments the Business Process Diagram, and can be decomposed to show additional detail.
- Captures and describes system functions and the data flows between them.
- Documents system functional hierarchies.
- Primary purpose is to:
- Develop a clear description of the necessary system data flows that are input (consumed) and output (produced) by each system
- Ensure functional connectivity is complete
- Support appropriate level of functional decomposition for additional detail
- Is the systems counterpart to the Business Process Model (IDEF-0 diagram).