Purpose: The purpose of the Data Mapping Diagram is to map data’s sources.
Core concerns: The Data Mapping Diagram template enables you to model Data Entities, Classes, Tables, Records and Mapping Algorithms. These are connected by Data Mappings. The Data Mapping Diagram is sometimes called Entity Mapping Diagram.
Below, you can see an example of a Data Mapping Diagram where data is moved from one table to another transforming from ‘customer data’ into ‘client data’:
The following very simple diagram illustrates the relations between Records and their elements:
Relation to other templates: The Data Mapping Diagram is, through the object Data Transformation, related to the Data Replication Diagram. Data Transformation is contained in the Data Replication Diagram and has a mapping which is described in the Data Mapping Diagram.
Properties and metadata: The Data Mapping Diagram can for example retain the following information:
- A description of the diagram
- Audits (auto generated information regarding its current state and access rights)
- Associated documents, diagrams and other objects
- Inherent Risk detailing risk considerations
- Governance information detailing information about the published diagram and who has been involved in the approval of the diagram
The above picture shows the properties dialogue window for the Data Mapping Diagram where you can view and edit the diagram’s properties in QualiWare Lifecycle Manager.