Purpose: The purpose of the Interaction Overview Diagram is to visualize a sequence of activities and deconstruct a complex scenario that would otherwise require multiple ‘if-then-else paths’ to be illustrated as a single sequence diagram.
Core concerns: The Interaction Overview Diagram is a Behavioral UML model. The template enables you to model Call Behavior Actions, Decision Nodes, Merge Nodes, Initial Nodes, Activity Final Nodes, Fork Nodes, Join Nodes, Duration Constraints, and Annotations. These elements can then be connected by Control Flows.
Below, you can see an example of an Interaction Overview Diagram for a sd System Authentication:
Relation to other templates: The Interaction Overview Diagram is part of the UML templates QualiWare supports along with the Activity Diagram, Communication Diagram, Deployment Diagram, Class Diagram, Composite Structure Diagram, State Diagram, Package Diagram, Component Diagram, Sequence Diagram, Use case diagram, Timing Diagram, Composite structure Diagram
Properties and metadata: The Interaction Overview Diagram template can for example retain the following information:
- A description of the diagram
- Audits (auto generated information regarding its current state and access rights)
- Extensions (Stereotypes, Constraints and Tagged values)
- Associated documents, diagrams and other objects
- Inherent Risk detailing risk considerations
- Governance information detailing information about the published diagram and who has been involved in the approval of the diagram
The above picture shows the properties dialogue window for the Interaction Overview Diagram template, where you can view and edit the Diagram’s properties in QualiWare Lifecycle Manager.
For more information: about the UML, please visit the Object Management Group’s Website, where you can find the complete specification.