Purpose: The purpose of the Value Proposition Canvas template is to document the fit between specific customer segments and the value proposition targeted at them.
Core concerns: The Value Proposition Canvas template enables you to model Value Propositions and Customer Segments and populate them with objects by extending the modelling syntax (right click on the canvas, choose ‘Actions’ and then ‘Extended syntax’):
Below, you can see an example of a Value Proposition Canvas that has been populated by Objectives, Opportunities, Threats and Technology:
Relation to other templates: The Value Proposition Canvas is closely connected to the Business Canvas and should be seen as a more detailed view of elements from the Business Canvas’ Customer segment and Value proposition. As such, there could be multiple Value Proposition Canvases attached to a Business Canvas.
In a more general sense, the Value Proposition Canvas is a strategic model that should be viewed in relation to the enterprises Strategy Model, Enterprise Investment Portfolio and Strategic Roadmap.
Properties and metadata: The Value Proposition Canvas can for example retain the following information:
- A description of the diagram
- Link to the owner of the canvas
- Link to the one responsible for the canvas
- Audits (auto generated information regarding its current state and access rights)
- Associated documents, diagrams and other objects
- Inherent Risk detailing risk considerations
- Governance information detailing information about the published diagram and who has been involved in the approval of the diagram
The above picture shows the properties dialogue window for the Value Proposition Canvas where you can view and edit the diagram’s properties in QualiWare Lifecycle Manager.